Art of enduring a period

How does your period affect you monthly? I am not any kind of professional related to periods, but I keep a very good relationship with mine. I do not want it to leave sometimes LOL.
Never have a very long conversation with girls from other country about menses. But let me introduce a bit about it in Hong Kong, we called period “Aunt” or “M” for monthly. Sometimes we say “My aunt’s come to visit me.”, so people will get it. Also, we are not really comfortable to say it out loud like how I talk about it in public at all.
And the super big difference between most of the Western countries—— Almost all the Asian girls use a sanitary pad, not a tampon. I cannot speak for every one, but most of the Asian females I know, about 70% of them do not know how to use tampons, some of them don’t even want to talk about them. The other 30%, use that occasionally like when swimming, on a boat trip and other rare occasions. It is very uncomfortable for us to use and strange. (Well, I got loads for free one day, so why not use it, but it’s still difficult to use it. )


For me, period brings me good times:

-Best excuse for not doing any exercise

Menstruation’s effects on workouts, Some say it helps, but others say it harms. The best rule is listen to your body. 
I found it extra hard to do exercise during my period, even fainted once in the gym because I felt ‘out of blood’. According to a lot of studies from nutritionists, books I read and information from the internet, it is easier to get injured. Also, women lose more calcium and the metabolic rate lowers during menses. So it means our body cannot burn fat well anyway, why not take a rest during the most disturbing day and keep going again after menses?

The point I try to make is the good news here, the first seven days after menses, our hormone obstruction decrease, metabolic rate is the highest as well as digestion. Means if you work hard on exercise, absorb more nutrition from healthy diet, it will totally reflected on our body sooner then normally. (Of course good digestion means digesting all the fats from junk food easier too! So quit them during this golden time) It is a gift for women, make the most of it!

Should a woman actually take a 4-6 day break from workouts every month, when on her period? 
Yes, let work hard on the other 21 days (Will talk more about that 21 days next time.)

french style crispjpg

-Eat anything I want


‘Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms are changes in appetite and food cravings, and that can affect weight. Studies show that women tend to crave foods high in fat and carbohydrates during specific phases of the menstrual cycle; women also tend to take in more calories during these phases.’

My favourite is crisps, I eat loads during my period. It is just not the time for losing weight. As the metabolic rate is the lowest, let’s eat, and make a promise to yourself to quit all bad food during the first seven days after menses.

-Be angry and moody, and my boyfriend cannot be too angry to me


Well, it is PMS, what do boys know?

Just rest, rest and rest.


Joints in pain, pelvis is cramping so badly? Watch that movie you really want to watch. Honing the strength for the big push later.

Again, I cannot speak for all the bodies of girls and women, but make the most of the menstruation. It’s my life style, it actually saves me from gaining too much fat and feeling ill. For the weight loss plan of menstruation, I would like to talk more next time.

Let’s enjoy this holiday of undisciplined tongues and bodies!

How do you deal with your menses? Does it affect you in a bad way? Or you have something good to share too? I really want to hear your stories 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s